Inspired by Stephanie (The Crock-Pot Lady) I made chicken, brown rice, and broccoli "casserole" in the crockpot last Wednesday. (And then ate it for lunch and dinner the next two days.)
On Sunday I made an attempt at Stephanie's Sausage and Vegetables Medley and we had it for lunch after church. Although I made a couple rather bad mistakes (used two cans of chicken broth instead of only two cups; used relatively spice-free chicken & apple sausage, rather than the spicy kind that would have flavored everything else) it was still pretty good (albeit much more soup-like than intended). I ate two helpings, and the kids actually each ate a reasonable amount-- which was gratifying, even if I do think that was partly because I'm sort of a guest so they feel a bit more compelled to be nice than they would if someone else had cooked.
Since I have a lot of potatoes on hand right now (and I don't want them to attempt to grow baby potatoes in my kitchen) I decided to cook some of them tonight. On the drive home I decided it would be totally acceptable to cook some carrots along with them... and after they're all nice and soft, smash them all up (carrots included) and make a smashed-potato sort of dish. (Hey. I'm the only one who'll be eating it, and I say including smashed carrots is a perfectly charming idea.)
So that's cooking in some chicken broth in the kitchen. I'll post later about how it turns out... unless it is a dismal failure. ;)
(I'd promise a photo, but my camera is still lost.)
Meanwhile, this "cooking real food" trend has led to a dismal consequence: dirty dishes.
So I must go scrub some bowls and things.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment